Think Rubix Black Policy Lab Cbcf Alc Pre-conference Summit
Rayburn House Office Building
45 Independence Avenue Southwest Room 2044
About The Event:
Think Rubix is pleased to invite you to The Black Policy Lab, a Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Annual Legislative Conference (ALC) Pre-Conference Advocacy and Visioning Briefing on September 11, 2018 at 2044 Rayburn House on Capitol Hill. The full conference runs from 12pm-5:45pm, providing space for policymakers, legislative aides, movement leaders and elected officials to envision solutions to address some of the pressing issues facing the Black community.
We are also excited that some of our featured experts include Chikesia Clemons, survivor of the Waffle House police brutality incident; Commissioner Tami Sawyer, recently elected after leading the charge on the removal of confederate statues in Tennessee; co-founder of Women’s March, Tamika Mallory; and Dr. Wes Bellamy, former Vice Mayor of Charlottesville, VA.
BLACK POLICY LAB SUMMIT SCHEDULE
The Summit kicks off at noon with the “Black Futures” Vision Luncheon (limited seats), giving attendees an opportunity to chat with the Co-Founders of social impact firm, Think Rubix.
1-2pm Who’s Marching for Black Women: Brutality, Trauma and Health
- Chikesia Clemons, police brutality survivor
- Dr. Joia Crear-Perry, Founder & Executive Director of National Birth Equity Collaborative
- Dr. Aeva Doomes, Board certified psychiatrist
2:15-3:15pm Civic Movement: Electeds, Justice & Confronting White Supremacy
- Tamara Sawyer, activist and recently elected Commissioner of Shelby County (TN)
- Dr. Wes Bellamy, former Vice Mayor of Charlottesville (VA)
- Turquoise Young, Esq., Co-host, PoliTea Podcast
3:30-4:30pm Invisible Violence: Guns, Water, and Education
- Tyah-Amoy Roberts, Parkland student and mass shooting survivor
- Mei-Ling Hoshing, Parkland student and mass shooting survivor
- Amber Goodwin, Founder & Executive Director, Community Justice Reform Coalition
- LaTricea Adams, Founder, CEO & President, Black Millennials for Flint
- Lacy Dawson, Director, Michigan Voice
4:45-5:45pm The Future: Economy, Supreme Court & Workforce
- Dr. Avis Jones DeWeever
- Algernon Austin, Economist, Demos
- Tamika Mallory, Co-Founder, Women’s March
Summit attendees are invited to The Black Policy Lab Reception honoring the Co-Chairs of the Congressional Caucus on Black Women and Girls: Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (NJ), Rep. Yvette D. Clarke, and Rep. Robin L. Kelly (IL).
Reception remarks by author, professor and daughter of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz, Ilyasah Shabazz.